Voices from the Field: Where Are You On the Road to Patient Safety??
Patient Safety Awareness week was celebrated this past month. We asked you to share with us some of the patient safety priorities your organization has identified and ways that you engage your teams in furthering your safety goals. Many of you responded and we are pleased to share your thoughts with our colleagues around the country.
When asked, “What is your estimation of where your organization is at on the road to patient safety?” You answered:
What is wonderful about these results is that 87% of you noted that effort is there, gains are being made and for several of you, real success is being had.
What is your estimation of where your organization is at on the road to patient safety?
When asked what the patient safety priorities your organization has, you noted:
% of Responses
Other issues of concern were CLABSI, CAUTI, alarm management, environment of care and life safety.
These are pressing issues and a lot of great ideas were presented that continue to promote patient safety. Ideas generated include:
- Contests – with prizes and posting of results in public areas of each patient care unit
- Employee newsletters with “Tips of the Week”
- “What’s Wrong with this Picture” games
- Skits and songs
- Poster contests
- Educational forums
- Patient Safety fair with “Passports to Safety” where participants get a stamp at each booth which promotes a different type of safety focus and get entered into raffles
- Reading books together
- Calendar where a smiley face is posted for each day that the unit is fall-free. If a fall is incurred there is a sad face. Count up all the smiles and celebrate success monthly.
There’s no doubt that these activities make an impact. They are opportunities for engagement that keep patient safety foremost on everyone’s minds. Thank you for sharing your work with us. If you have an activity that you engage in that you’d like to share, email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Stay tuned for our next newsletter, where we will feature specific Patient Safety initiatives shared by your healthcare colleagues.