When it comes to celebrating the Holidays, most people don’t think . . . let’s go to the Hospital. There are however; many people who must spend their holidays in the hospital – patients, physicians, nurses, ancillary staff, therapists and many others. And since holidays in healthcare are inevitable, think about ways that staff can spend with patients that will not only brighten their holidays but also yours. Here are a few examples of recommended activities:
- Color pictures with patients
- Send to their grandchildren
- Read Holiday stories to a group of patients
- Invite a musician – you may have some on staff or even a patient – and play holiday music
- Ask the patient to share a story about a favorite Holiday
- Make ornaments out of paper and tape
- Have a unit contest for the best or top three activities to do with patients
It doesn’t require a lot of time or money to make a patient feel cared for in more than a clinical way. You may even find that by helping the patient experience the Holidays; that you are in a better place.
On behalf of Courtemanche & Associates, we wish everyone a safe and Happy Holiday. We look forward to continuing to partner with you 2019 to improve patient care.